I know! I can’t believe I haven’t done this before now either! Well, there is no time like the (Christmas) present. So, I hope you have been good, here is the best of the Holiday films. You won’t see Rudolph on this list because he is so busy being on every one else’s. Enjoy.
- Die Hard
Sure, it isn’t a warm fuzzy holiday movie, but isn’t there enough of those? I say bring on the explosions and the pithy one liners! I want to see evil “Europeans” taking over high-rise in L.A.! And of course there is the added bonus of Bruce Willis. Making fists with his toes.
- A Muppet Christmas Carol – Hands down my favorite film Scrooge. Sir Michael Cane kills as the old miser, and never for a second does he let on that he is acting against Muppets. The songs are awesome, The Great Gonzo plays Charles Dickens, and it leaves you with a happy, sappy feeling. I watch it every year.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – You got your Whos down in Whoville just chillin, waiting to devour some roast beast, when along comes Mr. Grinch. (Voiced, of course by Boris Karloff) I still get a little teary when the Grinch’s heart grows three sizes and breaks that little measuring device. It just doesn’t get any better.
- A Christmas Story – I recently found out that I live with someone who “hates” this movie. I didn’t know that was possible. Between the outstanding writing, Melinda Dillon as the best mom ever, and little Randy eating those mashed potatoes – I can’t see what there is not to like. And, since I have been teaching kids in Prague, every time I get a kid dressed to go out in the winter I think of Randy yelling, “I can’t put my arms down!”
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye team up for a great movie with some outstanding numbers. One of my favorites is “Lord help the sister who comes between me and my man…” And, unlike “Holiday Inn” (Where the title song debuted) you don’t have to put up with a really uncomfortable number done in black face.
- The Ref – Nothing says “The Holidays” quite like a dysfunctional family.
- Elf – I like this movie because it is a throw back to all of my favorite holiday specials when I was a kid, and it has Bob Newhart. It’s sweet, it’s funny, and it had claymation. I’m sold.
- GREMLINS – In what HAS to be the best “Christmas Monologue” of all time, I bring you the holiday cheer of the beautiful Ms. Phoebe Cates! You’re Welcome!
- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians – Okay. I am fully aware that this is a horrible film, but I used to love watching it every year none the less. It is cheesy, and silly and B movie fantastic. Martian kids and earth kids join forces with Santa to defeat the bad guys. Badass.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – Jimmy Stewart and Zuzu’s petals get me every time. And nobody ever mention what a fantastic romance this is! George and Mary loved each other, and you could feel it in every frame of the movie.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas – I just love watching the Peanuts gang sing at the end. I love the music, and I love that sad little tree. And Christmas isn’t Christmas without Linus making me feel like a bad person.
- I JUST watched this movie and I HAD to add it to my list. It was simply one of the most clever, fun and original Christmas films I have seen in a very long time. It is called “Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale“ I don’t want to give anything away, so just read the blurb on IMBD, or just trust me and watch it.