I love T.V. From the great shows like M*A*S*H and The Soprano’s to the not so great shows like People’s Court and Toddlers and Tiaras – I love T.V. I try not to watch a lot of it, or at least I don’t let myself overindulge until I have gotten all of my productive daily bull-poop out-of-the-way. (I.E. go to the gym, the store, pay bills, do laundry…) Once all the humdrum life stuff is over I can sit back and relax with a few old friends and some new ones. It doesn’t happen all the time, but every once in a while a T.V. show comes along that has somebody that I wish was real so I could hang out with them and have a beer. Here’s my top five T.V folks I’d like to hang with.
- Leslie Knope & Ron Swanson (Parks and Recreation) – The first time I watched this show I was in love. It had been a while since I had seen a network sitcom with smart and funny characters. Although I like all of the folks in Pawnee, I would definitely be friends with Leslie and Ron. I would totally go to the gay bar with Leslie and then have some after hours waffles. And it goes without saying that I would love nothing more than to chow down on a fat steak with Mr. Ron Swanson. He is the badass that I dream of becoming someday.
- Chris Stevens (Northern Exposure) – Again, here is another example of a series in which I would love to hang out with all of the characters – equally. I mean, I would love nothing more than to spend a day with Holling doing a paint-by-number, or hanging out with Ed and discussing our mutual love for Woody Allen films. I have even fantasized about having a fling with Maggie. But, if I was hard pressed to choose one from this most awesome of television shows, I’d chose Chris in the Morning. Duh. He is my television soul mate. He’s hot. He’s dangerous. He reads and writes poetry. He rides a motorcycle. He is a reformed bad boy. He has great taste in music. I can’t count the time I have wished I could go to The Brick and shoot a game of pool with him while discussing the hidden undertones in “Where the Wild Things Are”. Or maybe just make out with him in his trailer.
- Phil Dunphy (Modern Family) – I know. It would have been so easy for me to choose either Cam or Mitch, but honestly, I feel like I DO hang out with them in real life. But, I don’t know anyone quite like Phil Dunphy. He has a pure heart, an awesome sense of humor, and a great love for his family. I don’t know how he handles being married to that skinny-butt control freak, but I love him all the more for it. I feel like it would be so much fun to take Phil Dunphy out for a night of karaoke.
- Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Show) – It has been a life long dream of mine to appear as a special guest on the Muppet Show. I just want to hang back stage with Kermit for a while before I go on stage for my number with The Great Gonzo. We do a killer rendition of “Easy Lover”.
- Lucy Ricardo (I Love Lucy) – When I was making this list I thought about a lot of characters that are near and dear to me (Buffy, Mulder, Hawkeye Pierce, Tony Soprano…) but when it came down to it, I didn’t want to spend any time with them. Spending the day with George or Jerry might make me want to kill myself. Spending the day with Buffy might make me feel really insecure. But one character finally came to mind – Lucy. How much fun would it be to be “Ethel” for a day and have some crazy hijinks ensue? Any day spent with Lucy would be so much fun, and heck maybe Ricky would finally let us be in the show.