There is a new phrase sweeping the interweb. I saw it eight times today on Facebook, and then again when I went into my email. It is one of those goody goody, mushy mush mush things that I usually laugh at and make fun of. Here it is: “Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.” I get it. People want you to be more positive. People want you to focus on the good rather than the bad. And while bashing stupid stuff is far more fun and entertaining, I understand the need for positivity.
So, in the interest of being positive, I’m on board. I’ll give it a shot. I’m ready to put my money where my mouth is. Or at least put my “money” where my mouth is. I don’t have any money, but if I did I would totally put it on my face. I now give you my shameless endorsement – my promotions if you will – of things I love.
- EQUAL RIGHTS – If there is one thing in the world I love, it is equal rights. It is common sense really. Women, men, gay folks, minorities… we should all be treated the same because we are. We are all people. We all have feelings. We all want someone to love, and we all want tax breaks.
- KITTENS – I am pretty sure that kittens don’t really need more promotion, they have Youtube. But hell. I love kittens.
- OBAMA – I have made no secret of the fact that I am a big time supporter of the US President. Sure, he has made some mistakes, but we all have. And I still love him. He’s smart, funny, and he seems like an all around swell guy. He has shown a willingness to work WITH rather than against, and that is something that Romney, hell the entire Republican party can’t claim.He also doesn’t want to take away my rights as a woman. He wants ALL PEOPLE to have the right to get married, serve in the military, see a doctor, and vote. That’s enough for me.
- TRUTH – It might be hard to take at time, and even ugly but it is always a good thing. I promote truth at all times. I don’t like “sparing” peoples feelings or sugar coating anything. If you want to know what I think about anything from politics to how you look in those new jeans, I’m gonna tell you the honest truth. If you didn’t want to know, then you shouldn’t have asked. I don’t think being offended is the worst thing in the world, and I think more folks need to learn how to handle it. Being offended is part of life, be upset and move on. If hearing the truth upsets you, don’t get mad at the truth. Instead, look at yourself and ask why it made you so upset. Chances are its your own doing.
- BACON – I’ve been a fan of bacon for years. In Prague I would ask my kids, “What’s Alicia’s favorite animal?” and they would all yell “PIG!”. When I would say “Why?” they would respond with “Because it tastes good!” I know bacon is ultra trendy right now, and they have bacon flavored everything, but that doesn’t make my love for bacon any less genuine. It smells good. It tastes good. It is bacon. Love it.